So this past weekend was my roommate 21st birthday. To put it lightly she’s had better Sunday mornings.
In an effort to make her feel like a human once again, I asked her if I could get her anything. Her answer? A large order of McDonalds French fries.
Now of course I wanted my friend to feel better, but I was buying. And she said fries and then my other roommates wanted some. And so did our friends visiting, and admittedly then I did to. The bill started racking up, and being a bit of a health freak myself, so did the calories.
When most people think fast food, they would call me crazy for saying it could get expensive. But when a crowd of hung-over people walks into a McDonalds, there’s always potential to leave with lighter wallets.
Here’s my solution: a bag of potatoes.
I got this whole bag from a local produce store when I went home last weekend for a mere $2.00. I’ve checked out the local scene at Food Lion and Wal-Mart and the both have similar options for no more then $2.99.
But how this plain old bag of potatoes really be transformed into mouth watering fries aka the cure for my roommates pounding headache?
- As mentioned before, her extra pocket cash kind of ran away last night at the bar, so this is a very cost effective option. For $2.00 I can make some hangover food for all of us at the same price of a just 1 order of a large McDonalds Fry.
- It’s healthy! My roommate is a bit of a workout-aholic and believe me she’s not moving from the couch anytime soon. Its better to ditch the fast food fat and snack on this treat which is full of dietary fiber (you can even leave the skin on!), makes you feel fuller longer, and saves on the calories.
So here’s my simple recipe that will be sure to win over your hearts, you just have to trust me.
- Cut up all the potatoes into the size of your choice.
- Gently wet them and stick ‘em in the microwave for about two minutes. This may sound weird but this saves you from having to coat them in oil to get the crispy golden fry effect!
- Lay down some tin foil on a baking pan, and throw the fries on top!
- This is the fun part: season the fries to your liking. I personally love throwing on some oregano and basil leaves, maybe even some Cajun seasoning if I’m feeling daring. This is your chance to experiment!
- Place them in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees. The time will vary depending on how crunchy you prefer your fries!
** With about 5 minutes left, I melt a piece of Kraft’s Fat free American cheese because, well because I love cheese.
The whole recipe for one piece of cheese, one medium red potato, plus seasonings is only 170 calories and get this- NO FAT! A large McDonalds fry comes in around 500 calories and 25% of your daily fat intake. And out of just one potato I got this many to munch on! Chop up a couple more potatoes if you have some extra guests to feed like I do, you have a whole bag!
With all these potatoes you can even pre-cut them and freeze them to have your hangover cure readily available. So get creative (sweet potatoes anyone?), enjoy the great taste, and feel wonderful knowing you saved money and saved on calories!