As kids we wanted chocolate for breakfast, but mom always said no. She’d say that chocolate was for dessert and would just get us hyper and let us down in the school day. But what if I told you that you could have chocolate for breakfast and it wouldn’t ruin your whole day? It’s true!
I first heard about these bars from my friend Lauren who loves to bake. She makes these for her friends a lot because they’re super easy. She sent me the link to the blog she got the recipe from and I can’t wait to make them!
So let’s make them together shall we?
*Disclaimer: I didn’t get the banana chips 😦 so my bars aren’t complete…but they’re still really yummy!*
For these treats you’ll need the following:
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup chopped banana chips
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
now, a lot of these things I already had in my kitchen, and for the remaining ingredients I spent about $10 so this is an inexpensive baking adventure!
Here’s how we make them…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork and then add the canola oil and brown sugar. Mix well until there are no sugar lumps left.
- In another (smaller) bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and oats. Mix into wet ingredients and add banana chips and chocolate chips.
- Pat batter down into a greased square 8-inch pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until edges are golden. Let cool before cutting into squares.
I made you all a little video to show how everything comes together…enjoy!
See? Look how easy that was… Twenty minutes of prep-time and 25 minutes of baking. So little time and effort for something super yummy!